Creative Beginnings – Meet Laura

For many, the new year brings excitement and endless possibilities. For us, it also brings a new class of students. January 3rd saw a new group of bright-eyed and eager students start the Digital Design program. The class sees one student from South Korea, and two Europeans (Portugal and Greece) joining a class with a near equal number of Latin American and Canadian students — 9 from Canada, 10 from Mexico and 1 from Venezuela. I would also like to note that 7 students in this group have completed the Foundation Visual Art & Design program at VFS before starting Digital Design. I, personally can’t wait to see how this mix of cultures and backgrounds influences their work as they collaborate and share experiences over the next 12 months.

Throughout their scholastic year, we’ll be surfacing stories of these students’ successes, and you’ll hear from many of them as they post their insights to our blog. Follow along and you’ll see them develop and grow as they transform into tomorrow’s creatives.

We’ll start off by profiling a handful of these new students, from differing backgrounds, to get their first impressions of this new experience. Every Tuesday for five weeks (starting today), we will showcase one of them in Q&A format with a photo taken by our very own Danny Chan 

Today – Laura invites us to dance with her.
Next week - Alex is excited to be in the ‘dream machine’.
February 7 - Samantha wants to be like water.
February 14 - Andy is surprised by Canada’s love for hockey.
February 21 - Mary loves the cultural diversity of the program. 

CREATIVE BEGINNINGS – MEET LAURA

Name: Laura Cortes
Background:  I have a Communication Design degree from Lisbon Fine Arts. Since 2009, I’ve been working as a Multimedia Designer at a Portuguese publisher making educational children’s games, while I was completing a Masters in New Media. My biggest passion is dancing; it’s like an addiction to me. I love music as well (I played the cello for 10 years) and I miss it so much. My dream is to become really good at what I do! I want to have my own educational children games agency (already looking for partners :) ). I want to explore all the interactive design and user experience possibilities, and I want to apply them in the educational area.

Why VFS?
The final words I heard from my teacher back in the communication design program in Portugal were ‘Hmm… you should try a multimedia program, cause graphic design it’s not your main strength’. His honesty made me realize what I want to do as a professional. Since then, I promised myself I would learn everything I can in the realm of interactive design, so VFS seemed to be the perfect place to do it!

Three words that describe you?
Introspective. Emotional. Friendly.

Three words to describe your first thoughts on your VFS Digital Design experience?
Scary. Anxious. Expectant.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far? (Don’t say me.)
I guess all my classmates. I’m already attached to some of them, and it seems to me that they’re gonna be friends for life. Also I loved’¦ Stephen Webster, the Director of Marketing. He really inspired me at the orientation on the first day.

What was the biggest surprise?
The biggest surprise I encountered when I came to VFS was how difficult it is to deal with so many different cultures and different lifestyles. Realizing what we can say or not to a person who doesn’t have our cultural background and how some people might be offended by the smallest thing, even without showing.

Your hero (design or otherwise)?
I think my heroes change all the time because I meet people every day, and every day I learn a new life story. But I think my boyfriend’s brother is an inspiration to me cause, although he’s had to overcome some unique challenges, he’s probably the most intelligent, affectionate, and caring person that I know.

If you’re going to set one goal for yourself this year, what will it be?
I tend to be misunderstood cause often I have this really serious look, but I’m not a ‘serious’ person. My goal is to make connections for life, meet as many people as I can and, at the end of my year here, if I’m lucky, be able to set up a team to create our own projects.

The year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?
Salsa! Dance, dance, dance. I hope I have the time! And I need a place to keep practicing! And people to join me!

Leave Comments