Creative Beginnings – Meet Andy

For many, the new year brings excitement and endless possibilities. For us, it also brings a new class of students. January 3rd saw a new group of bright-eyed and eager students start the Digital Design program. Throughout their scholastic year, we’ll be surfacing stories of these students’ successes, and you’ll hear from many of them as they post their insights to our blog. Follow along and you’ll see them develop and grow as they transform into tomorrow’s creatives.

We’ll start off by profiling a handful of these new students, from differing backgrounds, to get their first impressions of this new experience. Every Tuesday for five weeks, we will showcase one of them in Q&A format with a photo taken by our very own Danny Chan 

January 24 - Laura invites us to dance with her.
January 31- Alex is excited to be in the ‘dream machine’.
Last week - Samantha wants to be like water.
Today – Andy is surprised by Canada’s love for hockey.
Next week - Mary loves the cultural diversity of the program. 

CREATIVE BEGINNINGS – MEET ANDY

Name: Andy Kang
Background: I graduated from Fukuoka University, Japan majoring in Physiology. After graduation, I worked as a Business Development manager in the R&D department of one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in Korea. My short term goal is to create a banging Final Portfolio and jump start my career as a Motion Graphic Designer in Vancouver or New York. In the long run, I want to walk the red carpet at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and pick up my first of many Lion awards. I have 4 different black belts and I won an All-Japan Karate Championship in 2001.

Why VFS?
VFS’s one year curriculum offers a perfect timeline to achieve maximum results. Plus I’d rather put up with Vancouver’s rain than smog-covered LA or New York’s traffic jams.

Three words that describe you?
Sensible. Inquisitive. Perceptive.

Three words to describe your first thoughts on your VFS Digital Design experience?
Finally here! Let’s go! Somebody smells in here’¦ (Not really three words but we’ll forgive you.)

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far? (Don’t say me.)
My classmate Ricardo impressed me with his creativity, intelligence and industry experience.

What was the biggest surprise?
Canadians still talk about the Olympic Gold Medal Hockey game.

Your hero (design or otherwise)?
For being good at everything, but being great at what she truly loves, my hero is my girlfriend.

If you’re going to set one goal for yourself this year, what will it be?
Speak English without a Korean accent by the end of the year.

The year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?
Teaching tricks to my puppy.

Leave Comments