Creative Beginnings – Meet Mary

For many, the new year brings excitement and endless possibilities. For us, it also brings a new class of students. January 3rd saw a new group of bright-eyed and eager students start the Digital Design program. Throughout their scholastic year, we’ll be surfacing stories of these students’ successes, and you’ll hear from many of them as they post their insights to our blog. Follow along and you’ll see them develop and grow as they transform into tomorrow’s creatives.

We’ll start off by profiling a handful of these new students, from differing backgrounds, to get their first impressions of this new experience. Every Tuesday for five weeks, we will showcase one of them in Q&A format with a photo taken by our very own Danny Chan 

January 24 - Laura invites us to dance with her.
January 31 - Alex is excited to be in the ‘dream machine’.
February 7 - Samantha wants to be like water.
Last week - Andy is surprised by Canada’s love for hockey.
Today - Mary loves the cultural diversity of the program.

CREATIVE BEGINNINGS – MEET MARY

Name: Mary Mon (AKA Mariana Montes de Oca)
Background: I remember myself as a kid drawing eco-friendly campaigns and spreading them all around my town. I have a degree in Graphic Design and I like photography, art, branding and illustration but other recent interests include psychology, social media, video games and Tarantino films. I love design because it’s about creating emotional connections with people and hopefully provoking a response. I would love to work with a well-known company developing creative media based in Canada, Japan, or the UK; otherwise it would be at thrill to build my own design studio.

Why VFS?
I first fell in love with the cultural diversity but said to myself “this is the best place to be” when I found the student projects from Digital Design, which is quite impressive for a 1 year program. It has everything I need to build the portfolio I’ve always dreamed of.

Three words that describe you?
Enthusiastic. Dedicated. Unexpected.

Three words to describe your first thoughts on your VFS Digital Design experience?
Challenging. Fun. Thrilling.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far? (Don’t say me.)
Everyone here is so amazing and willing to help that it’s hard to say, but though we’ve only worked with her a couple of times so far, I’d say Head of Department, Amber Bezahler, since I found her background and career to be very inspirational.

What was the biggest surprise?
The freedom we will get to have with our projects, and that the instructors have respect for crazy or extreme ideas. This will allow me to take risks and push my creativity.

Your hero (design or otherwise)?
I’d say Mark Zuckerberg, cause he has just developed something where almost the whole world is involved, and he’s not even 30 years old!

If you’re going to set one goal for yourself this year, what will it be?
To get creative every single day and, therefore, have at least one of my projects showcased to attract attention from people outside of school.

The year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?
I believe design and great ideas should be developed through a fun and intuitive process, so I’ll try not to forget that at crunch time. If there’s a project that I’m not having fun with, I’ll ask myself if I did something wrong along the way.

Leave Comments