Miles Nurse Scholarship Winner Ryan Ali Talks About Shifting Gears

Ryan Ali, the most recent winner of the VFS Miles Nurse Scholarship, discusses his first 12 weeks in the Digital Design program.

“Shifting gears from writing a thesis on mobile learning technology to studying Digital Design at VFS has flipped my world upside down. I started my career as a biology teacher in Sydney, Australia and then moved on to working on a masters degree researching mobile learning technologies. While I value the skills that I have learned in the university environment, I felt a new spark of excitement when I began seeing the types of projects that we are able to work on here in Digital Design. For the first time in many years I began to get truly turned on by assignments and hands-on activities that we are involved with. The opportunities to express yourself creatively within the program are, at times, overwhelming.

A stark contrast to the rigid boundaries found in many university settings. There are nights when I have arrived home exhausted after a long day, only to find myself switching on my bedside light over and over again to write down new ideas that I can use in our projects. I am interpreting this as a sign that I’m in the right place and I feel very lucky to be here.”

During orientations I often tell students to take advantage of the amazing opportunities they have during their year at VFS: The opportunity to learn from industry leaders, the opportunity to produce great results — but most importantly, the opportunity to learn from their classmates. Every class has a beautiful mix of international cultures and experiences, each with their own unique perspective on design. It is an incredibly rewarding experience as an instructor and we are honoured to have students like Ryan in our program.

Leave Comments