Alumni Success Story : Dario Meli

Dario Meli, co-founder of hootsuite & memelabs and co-CEO of Invoke Media

We recently caught up with Dario Meli to hear the story of his success post-VFS. Dario is the co-founder of Hootsuite and Memelabs, as well as the co-CEO of Invoke Media, co-developer of the Eat St. app, and an advisory board member of several startups operating in New York, Los Angeles and Vancouver.

When asked about the Digital Design program Dario says, “What really attracted me to the VFS Digital Design Program was the depth of knowledge and the generality of it. I knew that it would teach me a little of everything, and it would allow me to figure out what I really loved about this new world, which at the time I attended [1997-98] was very cutting edge. VFS was probably one of the only facilities of its kind in the world. ”

Dario Meli

Dario told us some great stories about lessons learnt while developing his successful companies, and has advice for VFS students too:

“If I was to give advice to anyone currently attending, or planning on attending Vancouver Film School, I’d say explore a little bit of everything — get at least an idea. And even more importantly, pay attention to the people around you — some of my closest friends came from the program and most of them are doing awesome things. The guy I run my company [Invoke] with [David Tedman] is also from VFS. We were there at very different times, but we have that same base level knowledge — with some different takes on it; so, one is a bit more business, one is a bit more design. When you put that together it’s a great combination. So, for the partnerships, meeting people — VFS is super valuable! ”

Check out the full video interview below:

Alumni Success Story: Dario Meli from VFS Digital Design on Vimeo.

Leave Comments