Creative Beginnings Week 1 : Meet Ya-Rou Tiffany Tsai

Meet Tiffany

Back in August, VFS Digital Design greeted a new, diverse and exciting group of students. We’re looking forward to seeing them develop their professional careers as future designers. But first, let’s get to know a bit about some of them.

Creative Beginnings features five new students — a different one each week — from a variety of backgrounds, who tell us where they’re from, what their hopes and dreams are, what their inspirations are, what their first impressions are about the program, about their fellow classmates, about Vancouver, and what they do for fun!

For five weeks, each Tuesday, we present an interview with one of them and a nice portrait photo taken by our very own Danny Chan.

Sept 25 : Craig Wilson
Oct 02 : Laura Patricia Hernández Torres
Oct 09 : Ian Brady
Oct 16 : Seerat Bawa

Today (Sept 18) : Ya-Rou Tiffany Tsai

Photo of Digital Design Student  Ya-Rou (Tiffany) Tsai from Class 25

Hi Tiffany! To start with, can you tell us a bit about yourself, your background, where you’re from,  what your goals are — and given how the intense the year is, what do you do to have fun?

My official full name is actually Ya-Rou Tiffany Tsai, and I come from Taiwan. Since I was born in 1994 in Taipei, that makes me roughly 18 years old.

As for my future, it’s really typical. I want what everyone wants: a good-paying job doing something I enjoy, and I hope to achieve that through Digital Design. I want to be able to work with organizations that address serious and important issues about our world, and help make a change — or at least make some sort of impact and raise awareness. To do good, is what I hope to accomplish.

During my spare time, the thing I love to do most is to play badminton! — It’s true, it is an Asian thing. I’ve met some of the most incredible people in my life during my experience of being part of this athletic community.

Aside from exercising, I love to spend my time having fun with friends and family. But no — no crazy illegal parties! I’m a good kid.

Oh, and, I like to watch Criminal Minds too.

If you could give us three words to describe yourself, what would they be?

If I had to pick three words to describe myself, I think they would be:

Determination
Altruistic
Emotional.

Can you tell us about someone who inspires you?

My parents. They definitely are inspiring, because they sacrificed their old lives to move half way across the world for the benefit of me and my sister. There is also a very important character in my life that has helped me through some of the toughest times. This person has shown me strength and courage, and the ability to see the positive outcome of all things.

So, why did you choose to come to VFS?

Why VFS? I’ll be brutally blunt, they do a heck of a job promoting the school. Maybe it’s the design of the poster, but everything they showcase about the school and the students here makes it all so tempting and seem so fulfilling — as if all dreams can and do come true. It’s like going to Disneyland, in a “pursuing your career” kind of way, if that makes any sense.

How about three words that describe your first impressions?

If I were to describe my first impressions of being at VFS, I would definitely say:

Overwhelming.
Enriched.
Intimidating.

— but I expect that some of that will probably change by the end of the year (the intimidating part, at least).

What’s been the biggest surprise about being here so far?

The biggest surprise so far, actually, is how quickly the days seem to go by. Week one felt like eternity, but week 2 passed with a blink of an eye! It’s strange.

What’s the one most important thing you’d like to accomplish this year?

The one most important thing I want to accomplish this year is to finish the year. I came down with a sickness halfway through grade 12 (yes, I just graduated), and it made me miss at least 2 months of school. Even now, I’m still dealing with problems concerning my health. So, I think that if I make it all the way to graduation, I will be really satisfied with my performance throughout the year.

What does Design mean to you — How do you see yourself as a Designer?

Truth be told, I feel like I’m too young to fully grasp what the term “design” really means to me, but what I have come up with for now is, to be able to express and present myself through my work, while achieving the goal of solving problems for others and connecting with the rest of the world. I see myself as a progressive designer, someone who has many ideas and messages to convey, but is learning the steps to carry them out perfectly.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS, so far?

Jamie Ugarte, one of my classmates, is someone who’s been really kind to me and helped me a lot with things — and he’s an animator, so he’s definitely in my cool book.

Thanks Tiffany — we look forward to hearing more about your experience!

Leave Comments