Creative Beginnings Week 3 : Meet Laura Patricia Hernández Torres

Creative Beginnings featuring Laura Patricia Hernández Torres

Back in August, VFS Digital Design greeted a new, diverse and exciting group of students. We’re looking forward to seeing them develop their professional careers as future designers. But first, let’s get to know a bit about some of them.

Creative Beginnings features five new students — a different one each week — from a variety of backgrounds, who tell us where they’re from, what their hopes and dreams are, what their inspirations are, what their first impressions are about the program, about their fellow classmates, about Vancouver, and what they do to have fun!

For five weeks, each Tuesday, we present an interview with one of them and a nice portrait photo taken by our very own Danny Chan.

Sep 18 : Ya-Rou Tiffany Tsai
Sep 25 : Craig Wilson
Oct 09 : Ian Brady
Oct 16 : Seerat Bawa

Today (Oct 2) : Laura Patricia Hernández Torres

Portrait of Laura Patricia Hernández Torres

Hi Laura!

To start with, can you tell us a bit about yourself, your background, where you’re from, what your goals are — and what do you do to have fun?

My name is Laura Patricia Hernández Torres. I like to be called Lau. I was born on January 25th, 1988, in Mexico City. I’m 24 years old. I graduated from a 5-year program in Communications at the Tecnológico de Monterrey, a university in Mexico city. I have a younger brother and a little brown French poodle named Capuccina. My father is a lawyer, and my mother is a psychologist.

I think about my self as a friendly person. I like to meet new people and try new things. I’m always looking to be in a place where I feel happy, surrounded by cool people. For me, the ideal thing is to have a great time. I like to talk and hang out with my friends. I picture myself as a successful woman, wife and mother.

I want to be a recognized designer. In the future, I would like to be my own boss. Of course, I try to keep myself healthy, to be creative and have fresh ideas.

For my personal health and to relax during my free time, I like to have fun with my friends, go for a beer …or two. I like to exercise. I love to watch movies, and skype with my boyfriend.

I’m very happy to be a VFS student… I will do my best!!

What are three words that describe yourself?

The best three words that describe me could be: Loyal. Sociable. Professional.

Can you tell us about someone who inspires you?

First, my mom, because she was very successful as a professional and as a mother; she found a great balance doing what she loves and with her family.

Shakira is another person I admire because she is a successful musician and because she does a lot of charity work for people in need.

Another person I find to be an inspiration is the Brazilian artist, Romero Britto. I believe that he has great ideas, and I like his colorful style. I love his art!!

Why did you choose to come to VFS?

I chose VFS because I consider it to be the best school for what I want to do, to accomplish in my professional life as a designer. I had a little taste of the Design program about a year ago when I was at the Summer Intensive in Mexico, and I fell in love with it. I wanted more, so I decided to enroll in the full program.

Another big reason I decided to move to live and study in Canada is because I like Vancouver a lot. I want to stay here and work. Pixar or Disney studios would be my dream job.

Three words that describe your first impressions?

My first impressions of the program in 3 words: Challenging. Fast. Passionate.

What’s been the biggest surprise about being here so far?

My biggest surprise so far has been to be out of my comfort zone; sometimes the language is very challenging.

What’s the one most important thing you’d like to accomplish this year?

The most important thing that I want to accomplish this year is to do what I love to do and turn it into a tool to be successful in my area and get paid for it.

What does Design mean to you — How do you see yourself as a Designer?

Concerning my background as a designer, I’d like to say that my grandfather was a great inspiration to me, because he was a painter. I believe a passion for design and color has been a part of me since I was little.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS, so far?

The coolest person that I’ve met at VFS is Helén, from classical animation. We met during Orientation Day and we got along very well. She is unique and authentic. We have had a good time hanging out around Vancouver. Another thing that I like about her is that she really loves what she is doing; she feels passion with the things she does, and that is contagious.

Thanks Laura — we look forward to hearing more about your experience!

Leave Comments