Creative Beginnings Week 5 : Meet Seerat Bawa

Creative Beginnings Week 5 : Meet Seerat

Back in August, VFS Digital Design greeted a new, diverse and exciting group of students. We’re looking forward to seeing them develop their professional careers as future designers. But first, let’s get to know a bit about some of them.

Creative Beginnings features five new students — a different one each week — from a variety of backgrounds, who tell us where they’re from, what their hopes and dreams are, what their inspirations are, what their first impressions are about the program, about their fellow classmates, about Vancouver, and what they do to have fun!

For five weeks, each Tuesday, we present an interview with one of them and a nice portrait photo taken by our very own Danny Chan.

Sep 18 : Ya-Rou Tiffany Tsai
Sep 25 : Craig Wilson
Oct 02 : Laura Patricia Hernández Torres
Oct 09 : Ian Brady

Today (Oct 16) : Seerat Bawa

Seerat Bawa

Hi Seerat!
To start with, can you tell us a bit about yourself, your background, where you’re from, what your goals are — and what do you do to have fun?

My name is Seerat Bawa. I’m from Punjab (India). I just recently turned 23.

I did my Bachelor’s in Multimedia. I never wanted to do that. I wanted to join my friends at an Engineering College. But my father told me to do Multimedia, as it’s a skill-based program and it has a lot of value. So, I had no clue what I was going to do, I just got into it, and then right after my graduation I got a three month internship at the production studio Prime Focus in Mumbai as a motion graphic artist. And being lucky, I got hired afterwards. I worked there for around 9 months. When I first joined Prime Focus as an intern, I had zero interest in After Effects, seriously. But it changed my life. I learned a lot from Prime Focus, and I was very much impressed and inspired by my seniors and colleagues. Then, I decided to enhance my skill in Motion Design. So, for whatever reason, I chose this area, and now I love it and I explore it as much as I can.

My dream, and I really wish I could achieve this, is that I want to work with Google :P hmmm.

To relax and have fun ….well, I don’t have my friends here and I’m pretty busy, so I’m not sure.

What are three words that describe yourself?

Punjabi. Friendly. Cheerful.

Can you tell us about someone who inspires you?

Hmm… my parents. They supported me a lot too.

Why did you choose to come to VFS?

Because of its international reputation. Plus, one of my friends did Foundation here — So I heard a lot about it.

Three words that describe your first impressions?

Challenging. Hectic. Future-Bright.

What’s been the biggest surprise about being here so far?

I’m the only Indian in this intake. And I know I had to work very hard to improve my English. But on a positive side, this is a great opportunity too.

What’s the one most important thing you’d like to accomplish this year?

A great portfolio! I am sure that if I complete my stay this year in Vancouver at VFS, I’m going to be a completely different person.

What does Design mean to you — How do you see yourself as a Designer?

I plan to create some fine graphic work that will make a mark in the entertainment industry regardless of the genre (may it be sci-fi, horror, comedy or drama) it falls into.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS, so far?

Keiron.

Thanks Seerat — we look forward to hearing more about your experience!

Leave Comments

Comments Closed