Creative Beginnings : Jenny Bourne

Creative Beginnings : Jenny Bourne

In January 2013, VFS Digital Design greeted another new, excitingly diverse group of students. We’re all looking forward to watching them develop into their professional careers as designers. But first, we’d like to give you a chance get to know some of them a little better in our regular series called Creative Beginnings.

Creative Beginnings features interviews with five new students — a different one each week over a five week period, along with a nice portrait photo taken by our very own Danny Chan  — who tell us a bit about their backgrounds and what their hopes and dreams are.

This week we introduce Jenny Bourne:

Jenny

To start with, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Jenny Bourne, I’m 29 years old, and I’m a born and raised Vancouverite.

What are your goals, your dreams — where do you want to be in 5 years?

That is really tough. Here it is in a nutshell… I spent eight seasons working for a fishing lodge located in Haida Gwaii. I’ve lived on a barge and in a tool shed. I’ve traveled extensively through North America, Asia and Europe.

In 2009, I attended the Entertainment Business Management (EBM) program at VFS and graduated with honors. I have worked as an Assistant Production Coordinator on two feature films. I’ve Produced two short films and two promotional videos. I love film and coffee. I’m obsessed with traveling… and animals (except for spiders). I also really enjoy dancing like nobody is watching.

My dream is to travel the world, while working as a freelance motion designer. I want to continue to work in film (on the side) and only produce the projects that I am really passionate about making. And I want to work in Bollywood… at least once!

Why did you choose VFS?

Why did I choose VFS? The reputation and experience.

When I decided to take the EBM program, I chose VFS because of the reputation. I like to push myself and do things that are outside of my comfort zone and I had a feeling I would get that experience at VFS. EBM pushed me to my limit and I achieved things that I never thought possible – both in the program and afterwards. This time round, I chose VFS because of experience!

Give us three words that describe yourself.

Adaptable, Determined & Loyal

Who’s your hero? (Design or otherwise)

It changes daily. Currently, it’s this guy!  I’m definitely a fan… I think we may be kindred spirits.

Give us three words to describe your initial thoughts/feelings about being here at VFS Digital Design.

Intense. Challenging and (sometimes) Overwhelming.

What’s the one most important goal for you to accomplish this year?

I’m coming into the program with no prior experience using any of the industry software. I know I will have to work extra hard to keep up, but by the end of this year, I would like to feel completely confident in Adobe CS6.

What has been the biggest surprise?

The pace of the program and the fact that we created a motion piece and coded a website in the first term!

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far? (Student, Instructor, or whoever)

The thing I love most about VFS is the people you meet during the course of the program. I have met some really amazing and inspiring people in my current and previous program, many of whom have become close friends. So I really can’t choose JUST one.

The program year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?

I tend to dedicate myself fully to whatever I am doing, but in doing so, I miss out on a lot of fun social opportunities. This year I want to try to take a more balanced approach and make a conscious effort to go to VFS events, have fun with classmates and network.

Thanks Jenny!

Join us again next week when we will introduce you to Cesar Augusto Martinez Velazquez

And if you missed them the first time around, check out our previous posts:

Leave Comments