Studio Tour: Mozilla Labs

(guest post by Andre Kuznetcov)

Mozilla is a perfect example of a modern, flexible, people-oriented organization. The atmosphere of openness and creative freedom is everywhere, from the humble smile of David Ascher, VP of Product for the Mozilla Foundation, to welcome us, all the way through to the beautifully designed production office, and the nice little gesture of a box of Ferrero Rocher next to the registration tablet at the end of our journey.

Although most people know Mozilla for their most successful product, Firefox, and as one of the larger market players on a similar level to Google or Amazon, Mozilla is actually a non-profit organization.  Surprised? I was, as well as most of our group.

The tour was awesome. People were nice to us and very kind in sharing their expertise and knowledge. The office is one of the more technologically advanced and well-designed places I’ve seen, and David’s presentation was simple, concise, and engaging.  During the talk, we learned about Mozilla’s vision which includes the struggle for the freedom and transparency of the Internet, and actively sharing a big chunk of its interactive work with the general public online through GitHub. 

Speaking of sharing, the core uniqueness and innovation of Mozilla is that the most of work that’s getting done by the company is carefully delegated to the hands of people outside of the company – volunteers. People are building the products for themselves with the guidance and expertise of Mozilla team, and I believe this set-up is one of the more effective, though complex, organizational structures.

Going back to our tour, after the talk and a quick Q&A session with David and Ivan, we had the chance to talk to others in their office about their workflow, update our knowledge about the tools that industry use, and ask about the general experience of working for Mozilla. From my personal experience, I’m hoping to make my career in web development, so during the tour I tried to figure out every little aspect of the industry that I’m planning to get myself into.

At the end of it all, the core of Mozilla is its people. I really enjoyed being a part of the community there, even if only for the short period of our tour, and I’ll definitely hope to work there one day.

A big Thank You to everybody who welcomed us there, and who shared their experience and knowledge with us. Thank you, Mozilla!

Leave Comments