Creative Beginnings : Meet Skylar

April brought in a new, exciting and diverse group of students to join us here at VFS Digital Design! Throughout their program year, OOMPH will be featuring stories about their creative process, their inspirations and their development into Professional Digital Designers.

Creative Beginnings features five students, a different one each week, from a variety of backgrounds, who offer up their initial impressions, their goals, hopes and dreams — and also tell us how they have fun! Follow along as these students develop and grow into the next Industry Creatives. Every Tuesday for five weeks, we will showcase one of them in Q&A format with a photo taken by our very own Danny Chan.

May 22 : Mehdi ponders the mysteries
May 29 : Novita (Vivi) Prasetia knits prospects for her own school
June 5 : Skylar Lange won’t stop analyzing until he gets to the beach

June 12 : Cristina Bucardo shares her passion for art, music and fashion
June 19 : Francois Gauthier mixes up new recipes for Motion Design

Name: Skylar Age: 23

From: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan… Canada, in case Saskatchewan isn’t ringing a bell.

Background: My background was more scientific than artistic. I took classes in things like Calculus and Chemistry and Biology in university, and did amazingly average in all of them. It wasn’t until I had spent about three unfocused years there that I decided my life needed a redirection.

I’d love to be running, or helping to run, a small team of multi-talented designers working as a sort of free-lance group, taking on mixed contracts with various clients.

Why VFS?
I suppose a desire to create took hold of me, and VFS has a strong reputation in terms of provoking this desire, but I think it was their ability to condense a long-term design education into one highly intensive year that won me over in the end.

Three words that describe you.
Personable, Enthusiastic (as long as I’ve had a proper sleep), Resilient.

Who’s your hero? (Design or otherwise)
Oddly enough, I think Conan O’Brien lent a big hand in my development. When I was younger, I thought he was the funniest man on the planet, so I tried to be funny like him. Fell a little short, but thanks anyway, Conan!

Three words to describe your VFS Digital Design experience so far.
Excited, intimidated, Ka-bla!

What’s the one most important goal for you to accomplish this year?
To pursue my next goal, or even my biggest dream, with an amazing portfolio and experience in my hand.

What has been the biggest surprise?
This school is full of talent; it feels great to be a part of it!

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far?
Tough call; can’t choose one. I can say this though: My class has a lot of brand-new instructors and they’re all awesome—bringing the excitement into class.  Oh. And Evan Su in my class is great; he does whatever he wants.

The program year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?
Well, VFS has pretty much ruined movies as a relaxation tool; I can’t stop analyzing!  But I just moved to Kitsalano, so you know what that means…Beaches!

Creative Beginnings

Leave Comments