The Little Mermaid Wins at ScreamFest

Little Mermaid Wins best Short Film at Screamfest 2011 A few weeks ago we mentioned that The Little Mermaid was getting its world premiere screening at the infamous Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles as part of Screamfest 2011. Well, the big news from the weekend is that this project has taken home the ‘Skully’ (I love it) award for best short film.

Jessica Leigh Clark-Bojin, the head of Entertainment Business Management posted the following on the VFS Digital Design Facebook page over the weekend.  “…On a personal note, I’d like to thank all of the VFS departments that contributed to this success – digital design student Kim Oxlund, writing grad Meagan Hotz, acting grad Trevor Gemma, and all of the Film and Foundation students on the crew – EBM could not pull this off without you. It is truly a testament to the fact that together we are more than the sum of our parts! Here’s to many more successful collaborations…”

The Little Mermaid is a short film created collaboratively between the production programs at VFS, spearheaded by Entertainment Business Management as part of the fourth volume of Compendium. Digital Design student Kim Oxlund (far right on the photo) pitched contributing to Compendium as his Graduate Project in the Digital Design program. His role included creating and compositing the beautiful exterior environments, the opening titles and end credits, colour correction, sound design and composing a haunting original score. As Jessica mentioned in her message, Kim was one of many dedicated individuals who brought this project together.

I’m so happy to see that he was in attendance in LA to share in the celebration!

Here is a short video that breaks down the work that Kim did on the environments.

Complete list of winners from Screamfest 2011.

Best Picture — Urban Explorer
Best Director — Paul China, Crawl
Best Actor – Klaus Stiglmeier, Urban Explorer
Best Actress — Georgina Haig, Crawl
Best Special Effects — The Tunnel
Best Makeup — Urban Explorer
Best Musical Score — The Innkeepers
Best Short — The Little Mermaid
Best Cinematography - Crawl

Leave Comments