VFS Digital Design Helped Me Find My Dream Job

Graduation day in the Digital Design program at the Vancouver Film School left me with a variety of options when it came to picking a career path. I didn’t have to wait very long to start my career, because on that day, between the graduation and award ceremonies, there was only one choice I wanted to make. So when it came time to decide whether or not to accept the job offer put before me, I did what all job candidates would do: I chose a role that would enable me to do what I had been trained for. I would never have gotten this opportunity without the help of the program’s faculty, most notably Amber Bezahler, Department Head for Digital Design at VFS. I wouldn’t have had the knowledge and confidence to take the job without the guidance from my teachers and mentors at the school.

Coming into the Digital Design program, I realized that I had a high proficiency for interactive design, and my love of photography and digital art only fueled my passion for creating beautiful interfaces. This penchant for designing engaging UI and immersive interfaces is what drove my projects at school and now, my professional work at iQmetrix.

I am currently working on the XQ Interactive Retail team and as Lead Interface Designer, and so I am responsible for creating the look and feel of XQ Console. The XQ Interactive Retail suite showcases wireless products and their offerings on interactive visual displays in-store. This allows customers to browse products in an interactive manner. As best described from the iQmetrix website: “XQ Interactive Retail transforms the in-store experience with applications that engage, educate and guide shoppers through the process of buying a mobile device.”

What I love most about working at iQ is the amazing culture the company has to offer. I feel incredibly lucky to be working with a team of highly talented and collaborative designers and developers every day. The work and culture here is built on trust and respect, while providing a commitment to personal and professional development and a path to finding meaning in the work you do.

I recall how nervous I was, starting in such a high calibre position at an amazing company like iQmetrix, right out of school, but what I also remember is how confident I felt in my new work environment, and this was made possible through the training and mentorship I received in the Digital Design program at VFS.

iQmetrix, the leading provider of retail management software for the North American wireless industry, recently announced that it has been ranked eighth on Business in Vancouver’s Fastest-Growing Technology Companies List, with an overall ranking of 24 on the Top 100 Fastest-Growing Companies in British Columbia List.

Leave Comments