Interaction12 IxDA Redux Report

Scott Nazarian

Last week (See May 7th post) OOMPH announced that VFS Digital Design was hosting an Interaction12 IxDa Redux event here in Vancouver on May 12, 2012 at the VFS Main Theatre. The event, based on the International Interaction12 Conference featured speakers — Scott Nazarian (Frog Design), Mike Kruzeniski (Microsoft), and Ryan Betts (Adobe) and attendee Haig Armen— along with videos by Adrian Westaway (Vitamins) and Angel Anderson.

VFS sent students David Calderon, Skylar Lange, Jeff Chen and Ryan Ali to the IxDa (Interaction Design Association) Redux event and this is how they’ve reported back to us.

David Calderon Navarro

I really enjoyed the event. One of the things that most caught my attention was the video Bananas Technology and Magic by Adrian Westaway.

I realized how important process is in the interactive and design world. I was really impressed with how strong research can change the client’s brief, and even their perspective, when they understand that what they thought at the beginning of the project they needed was not actually the best solution to their problem. It definitely changed my perspective, how I see things when it comes to solving a design problem. It was also very motivating to meet all these different people with such a great passion about digital design.

Skylar Lange

Ryan Betts provided a convincing argument for adopting the idea of coding into our every day design process. He did so in a friendly way, which turned the intimidating prospect of coding into one that was actually obtainable. He not only built up confidence in our abilities to pursue it, but he also implied convincingly that our careers as designers may actually depend on, and excel from, indoctrinating coding into our repertoire of skill sets.

Ryan Betts

Apart from Ryan’s lecture, the point that really jumped out at me was hidden in the exceptional documentary created by Mike Kruzeniski.  The video gave insight into User Experience World; a world which he sees as equally important and relevant to the current age of design as the creators of the Helvetica documentary viewed intelligent typography.

The impression I received from the video was this: We are a part of something much bigger than the small bubble we create around ourselves, and by missing out on the User Experience’s initiative to involve ourselves in our world in an engaging and meaningful way, we are missing out on the human experience itself.

Jeff Chen

First off, I want to say it really is a pleasure to see that there are a lot of things happening here in Vancouver.  This is the first time being at this kind of local event, and it was truly a rewarding experience. Not only did it allow me to stop thinking about my final project for a little bit, but it also enabled me to see what we are learning in school from a broader point of view. Regarding the speakers, I found all of them were really interesting, but the two I found the most inspiring were Mike Kruzeniski’s presentation of the video he is working on right now and Angel Anderson (Why We Share).

I’ve always been interested in seeing how and why people share and connect, so much so that my final project is actually about connecting people and bringing you and your love ones closer. So I always ask myself the same question that came up several times in the conference- what’s the future? Inevitably,  social networks are bringing people closer and closer than ever before, but is it a good thing or is it a bad thing? Does our social profile represent who we really are? Are we ever going to have a clear social hierarchy? Is there a way for us to be more social but at the same time more private? So many questions come to my mind after the conference, and I love it, it provides me to look at my project from a different point of view. Special thanks to all of the amazing speakers today.

Adrian Westaway image

Ryan Ali

I really enjoyed attending the IxDA presentations this weekend. In particular, I was moved by Adrian Westaway’s Video Bananas Technology and Magic presentation, where he spoke about designing a cellphone for an older demographic. I really enjoyed seeing the process involved in coming to their solution. The design team took their time to observe the behaviors of their target audience and used this information to create an effective solution to a problem. The particular challenge they were presented with in their brief was to make setting up and learning the functions of a new phone less intimidating for older people. The client was initially aiming to re-design the entire phone, and in the end, the solution was a re-designed package. This packaging was designed to look like a book with the phone actually imbedded inside. Each turn of the page would provide simple instructions and reveal different parts of the phone. This was accompanied by a brilliant infographic and quick reference cards depicting the functions of the phone.  These three elements came together to provide an elegant solution to a problem that empowered the target audience and didn’t require the laborious task of re-designing an entire phone. The end product was visually appealing and communicated in a manner and language that was inviting to the target audience. Brilliant!

Leave Comments