The Animator’s Survival Kit – Is it really just for animator’s?

Oomph!ProfilePicture

My AWESOME illustration of my Oomph! profile picture

Speaking as a designer, I think we’re all animators at some point — we might not want to do it specifically for a living, but we somehow still manage to find ourselves dealing with it. The concept of “Stretch and Squash” was just words to me about a year ago until I picked up The Animator’s Survival Kit By Richard Williams. Now a year later, it is the concept I live by.

We all look at animators as people who posses a unique skill set. Well isn’t that all of us, really? I am by no means saying that animating is easy and everyone can do it — What I’m implying is that at some point in our professional lives we are apt to deal with it in some way or another. It’s a question of how deep you want to get into it, to make any of your projects have a little more life. It’s a building block in all of our designs or projects.

I can personally say my drawings are never as good as I want them to be. I always visualize the greatest scenes ever in my head, and then when I begin, it always ends up a bad illustration of a simple circle (yes, to this day I cannot draw a proportionate circle — it’s insane). This book is constantly teaching me ways to improve my overall skill as a designer and making me understand where to start.

Check out this video with Richard Williams, which is related to The Animator’s Survival Kit: (Warning: Video does contain explicit language — Viewer Discretion is Advised)

It’s crazy to think how all of us are connected in this line of work. We all cut into each other’s paths at least a couple times. Whether you be a classical animator or digital designer or even a film student (yes, I’m quite jealous of all the camera gear that the film students are privileged to use). We all need each other at some point. For myself, I respect animators more than anything. If I had a fraction of their patience and/or talent, I would be beyond grateful.

This blog was really meant to show everyone what inspires me to be better designer. I understand it’s different for everyone, but really we all have to start somewhere, so why not start here?

Unplug, that’s it.

Cheers,
Chris AC

Leave Comments