Creative Beginnings : Ali Lupu

Creative Beginnings : Ali Lupu

In January 2013, VFS Digital Design greeted another new, excitingly diverse group of students. We’re all looking forward to watching them develop into their professional careers as designers. But first, we’d like to give you a chance get to know some of them a little better in our regular series called Creative Beginnings.

Creative Beginnings features interviews with five new students — a different one each week over a five week period, along with a nice portrait photo taken by our very own Danny Chan  — who tell us a bit about their backgrounds and what their hopes and dreams are.

This week we introduce Ali Lupu:

Ali

To start with, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name’s Ali Lupu and I go by Ali.  But you can also call me Al. I’m from Bucharest, Romania. I’m 29 years old.

For the last 7 years, rock climbing has become one of my great passions. I’ve had the opportunity to scale some amazing faces — from The Stawamus Chief in Squamish, BC, to the big walls in Yosemite Valley, California.

What are your goals, your dreams — where do you want to be in 5 years?

I would love to start my own design firm in 5 years. I know that every experience from now until then will only bring me closer to this big dream.

Why did you choose VFS?

The things that stood out the most for me about the program at VFS were it’s intensity, reputation and work ethic.

Give us three words that describe yourself.

Motivated, adaptive and optimistic.

Who’s your hero? (Design or otherwise)

Muhammad Ali has been a long time hero. He fought for a lot in life.

Give us three words to describe your initial thoughts/feelings about being here at VFS Digital Design.

Stimulating, overflowing, fast paced

What’s the one most important goal for you to accomplish this year?

To reach and/or exceed my creative potential.

What has been the biggest surprise?

That there seems to be a method to the madness that the program throws at you.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far? (Student, Instructor, or whoever)

Myron Campbell has been a really amazing instructor to talk with, but virtually everyone in my class has been amazing because of all the different experiences and skills that everyone individually brings to the program and shares.

The program year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?

I’m going to remind myself to take the time when I can, to grab a nice dinner with friends and catch up.

Thanks Ali!

Join us again next week when we will introduce you to Jenny Bourne

And if you missed it first time around, check out last week’s post featuring Seoyoung Seung

Leave Comments