Creative Beginnings : Emma Frost

Creative Beginnings : Emma Frost

In January 2013, VFS Digital Design greeted another new, excitingly diverse group of students. We’re all looking forward to watching them develop into their professional careers as designers. But first, we’d like to give you a chance get to know some of them a little better in our regular series called Creative Beginnings.

Creative Beginnings features interviews with five new students — a different one each week over a five week period, along with a nice portrait photo taken by our very own Danny Chan  — who tell us a bit about their backgrounds and what their hopes and dreams are.

This week we introduce Emma Frost :

Emma

To start with, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Emma. I’m 23 years old. I am originally from Seattle and my immediate family is there, but I’ve spent half of my life living elsewhere in the United States and around the world.

I am thoroughly in love with the act of making things. Especially things that make other people smile, or help me make new friends. With that in mind, I’ve got a pretty serious background in coffee — the community that comes out of that is amazing and extends over the whole continent. I also love to bake and feed people, and I have a degree in illustration, which I’m hoping will help me along here.

What are your goals, your dreams — where do you want to be in 5 years?

If I had my way? Working in a studio environment with creative people who love what they do and can teach me about it.  Making a living at something that fulfills my need to create. I’m not afraid of ‘selling out’ and working for corporations — I view it as a new perspective, a new lens on our society and an exciting challenge to be creative within those boundaries.

Why did you choose VFS?

I wanted to learn everything, and I’m impatient. This is the result.

Give us three words that describe yourself.

Optimistic, outspoken, curious.

Who’s your hero? (Design or otherwise)

My heroes are the people who care enough about me to stick around when things aren’t so great and help me get back on my feet. I hope that I can do the same for them.

Give us three words to describe your initial thoughts/feelings about being here at VFS Digital Design.

Community, immersion, intensity.

What’s the one most important goal for you to accomplish this year?

Learning to create the work that inspired me to come here and find a way to make a living off of it. 

What has been the biggest surprise?

Maybe being the only American in DD26?  I’m loving it, I’ve never been a minority among my peers before and it’s really fun. And how friendly Canadians are! It’s such a contrast to Los Angeles, where I was living immediately prior to this.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met at VFS far? (Student, Instructor, or whoever)

My whole class is insanely talented in a hundred different ways, and every instructor has something unique to offer.

The program year is intense. What’s one thing you’re going to do to keep it fun?

Get on my bike and ride! I feel more powerful, more graceful, and more capable when I’m on a bicycle, and nothing beats flying down a slope and passing all the cars stuck in traffic.

Thanks Emma!

That’s it for this edition of Creative Beginnings — Be sure to join us when we present the next round of new students!

In case you missed them the first time around, check out our previous posts:

Leave Comments