My Interest In Design

I decided to become a designer four years ago. When I was about to finish high school, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. I was good at math, and I was seriously considering building a career around it. But the kind of jobs I could do as a mathematician weren’t very appealing. I always loved design, but I felt like something was missing in Graphic Design. I needed that satisfaction that solving math problems generated in me. Then I discovered Interactive Design. It’s a fairly new career in Mexico, and I really didn’t know much about it. I did some research and found out what Interactive Design was all about. Design AND coding together in one same place? Count me in!

I started my degree in Interactive Design at the Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico City. I have never really coded before, but people kept telling me that the logic it required was very similar to the one needed for math. At the beginning, all these languages seemed a little bit confusing or overwhelming. But once I got comfortable with them, I was stunned to discover everything that could be done with code. I turned out to be pretty good at it, and I loved the challenges that coding made me overcome.

When I got to know all of the different areas that design had to offer, I was so glad that I decided to choose this path, and started appreciating good design. I really loved Motion Design, it was something I had never been aware of, but definitely found it amazing. That’s when I found out about VFS and fell in love with all of these amazing projects that their students were creating. I read the course outline and found out that Motion wasn’t their only stream, they also taught Interactive, and that’s when I decided I wanted to come to VFS and do their Digital Design Program.

Last week I started Term 2 and I couldn’t be happier. I think I want to stream in Interactive Design. I believe that there is a very big opportunity in my country (Mexico) with Interactive Design. There are not many companies that do this, and even then not all of them do it right. So I want to go back and build a design firm that specializes in Interactive Design. And to be able to give to my clients the whole process of  User Experience and Information Architecture in order to achieve the best design solution.

Leave Comments